Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Hitting the high notes



I can’t sing. You know when people say that and you’re expected to disagree with them. “Yes, you can. You have a beautiful voice. You shouldn’t be so modest.”

No. Honestly. I really can’t. The only time I sing (and I use that word advisedly) is in the car by myself with the windows tightly closed and on the way to gymnastics in Ipswich on a Monday night with my 11-year old daughter. She doesn’t mind, or doesn’t notice that I can’t carry a tune.

I’m always incredibly impressed by anyone who can stand up on a stage, open their mouth and sing. I can’t imagine what that might feel like and I very much doubt I will ever get the chance to find out.

One of our favourite CDs is “Blessings” by Christina Johnston. At some point, my daughter will always turn to me and say, “Mummy, how does she make those noises with her voice?” And I reply, “Practice. And a whole lot of talent.” Or words to that effect.

Christina is a Suffolk girl who has become an internationally celebrated coloratura soprano. I didn’t know what that meant either. It’s someone who is able to sing elaborate melodies with runs, trills and leaps. To hear what I mean, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUTFkrj_bI.

Christina is not only an incredibly talented singer, she is a kind, generous and giving person too. She’s one of Framlingham’s greatest exports (along with Ed Sheeran, Matthew Sheeran and Laura Wright – is there something in the water?) In spite of a dazzling CV including singing for many world leaders, appearing on stage, making an album with Matt Sheeran and being personally invited by Jose Carreras to sing with him at his farewell concert, Christina has come back home to live in Suffolk and gives of her talent generously to help good causes.

One of these is the amazing work done by my friends Jane and Alan Hutt at The Beehive Nakuru. https://beehiveafrica.org/. They left Suffolk to go and set up a loving family home for very young girls and their babies six years ago. They know Christina from church and she is kindly giving a concert in Ipswich this Saturday to help them.

Believe me when I tell you that listening to Christina is like hearing an angel sing. That’s not my trademark hyperbole. At her last concert in Framlingham, I was wandering around setting everything up while she was practicing, and her beautiful voice soaring up to the rafters brought tears to my eyes. I’m not a crier, and while I love music, it doesn’t usually touch me like that. Writing and poetry, yes. Music, not usually. But there’s something about Christina and her God-given talent that does move me to tears. Listening to her hitting the high notes (and she really, really does) is a beautiful and uplifting experience.

If you’d like to come and hear her for yourself, please click on this link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10162411839520052&set=gm.722999778200766&type=3&theater

There are still a few tickets left. Last time Christina sang for us, we sold out. It was standing room only and with good reason. Let me know if you’d like me to reserve some tickets. She’s inspired me to write at least two pieces so far and I can’t wait to hear her sing again on Saturday.

I can’t sing. Honestly. I can’t. But I can write and I hope my words will give you the chance to listen to a voice which has no equal, in my humble opinion.


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! (Its Ruth's daughter here. What a great and taleneted mother i have got!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Per usual, Mrs Leigh's blog has created a huge smile on my face. Also, I have personal experience on Mrs Leigh's singing skills and I can confirm, she definitely cannot sing.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Mrs Hutchins. You never said a truer word. Thank you for confirming that my blog comes from a place of 100% authenticity!!!

    ReplyDelete

Jane and Me

  It is a fact universally acknowledged that Jane Austen is a genius in a bonnet. If you disagree or would like to start a fight (Austen-rel...